Cheryl Blaydon


Cheryl Blaydon's most recent book is The Heart of Stone.

What are your ties to Maine?

My paternal grandparents and great-grandparents were Mainers, mostly from the Kennebec region, but there are a few links to Wiscasset and the Boothbay peninsula as well. I had little knowledge of that side of my heritage until I moved to Maine in 1994, settling first in Edgecomb then Southport and finally, East Boothbay.

What is your favorite thing about writing in Maine?

When I first arrived in Maine, I gravitated toward painting, which is a little like telling stories through pictures. But it is here on the Boothbay peninsula that I began to draw with words. This majestic coastline continually inspires my creativity.

What are the most important themes in your work?

Family and strong relationships. My first book, The Memory Keepers, had a cast of characters set in Italy. The second, Island Odyssey, was based upon my adopted island community. I tend to gravitate toward topics that revolve around the sea—its mystery, its danger and its beauty.

Tell us about the book you will be signing at Books In Boothbay this year?

My latest, The Heart of Stone, is a novel that takes place in a coastal village called Oyster Cove, Maine. Spanning three generations, it is a story of strong bonds, flawed characters and found love.

What do you hope readers will discover in your latest book?

Something of Maine that they can relate to, a treasured location or special memory.

What have you enjoyed about attending Books in Boothbay?
It is a superb chance to meet the public but also to learn about shared experiences in writing and publishing. Through the book fair, I’ve encountered writers who are not only knowledgeable but also generous with their time and information. 

What do you feel about the future of our local libraries?

I’m such a fan of our local libraries, I can’t say enough about the necessity to keep them alive and thriving. But I worry they might one day go the way of independent bookstores if not well supported.  

Come meet Cheryl Blaydon at Books in Boothbay on July 11!