Jacqueline Tourville

Jacqueline Tourville is the author of the picture book Albie’s First Word: A Tale Inspired by Albert Einstein’s Childhood, as well as several books for adults.

What are your ties to Maine or the Boothbay Peninsula?

I moved with my family to Wells, Maine in 2011. We are originally from New York. As a child, everything I knew about Maine came from watching Murder, She Wrote. The first time we visited Boothbay, I thought I had stumbled into Cabot Cove! The two bear a striking resemblance, although I’ve learned that Murder, She Wrote was actually filmed in California. Still, every time I’m here, I keep an eye out for Jessica Fletcher — just in case!

What is your favorite thing about writing in Maine?

Writing can be a lonely endeavor in many ways, which is why being able to take part in the rich and varied writing community of Maine feels likes a gift. I know that at least a dozen writers for children live within a 20-mile radius of my home. It’s incredible to have others so nearby to talk shop.

What are the most important themes in your work?

I am drawn to telling stories about people who have made lasting contributions to our society because they were willing to be true to themselves.

Tell us about the book you will be signing at Books In Boothbay this year?

I will be signing ALBIE’S FIRST WORD: A Tale Inspired by Albert Einstein’s Childhood. Albie is a finalist for a 2015 Maine Literary Award for children's literature.

What do you hope readers will discover in your latest book?

Sometimes the extraordinary needs a little patience and love to come to the surface. The story of Albert Einstein’s childhood is a wonderful example of this.

If you have attended Books In Boothbay in the past, please tell us what you enjoyed about it?

I attended Books in Boothbay last year as a book fan (Albie had not come out yet). I had such a good time and found so many great books to read! It is an honor for me to be returning this year as an author.  

What do you feel about the future of our local libraries?

I am amazed at how responsive Maine’s local libraries are to the changing needs of children and families. Some libraries I’ve visited have evening story hours for children, so working parents can attend. Other libraries provide programming that ties in with kids’ unique interests, like the Manga club that meets at the Kennebunk public library. I love seeing this kind of forward thinking!

Come meet Jacqueline Tourville and dozens of additional writers and artists at Books in Boothbay on July 11!